Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blog 5: Personal Review

          In my perspective, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is a novel that seemed empty at first, but progressively became more intricate as relationships were revealed and new characters were introduced.  The entire storyline seemed to be one turning point after another, and there was little time to think about what just happened since another instrumental event occurred moments after the previous one.  I believe that the speed that the novel picked up within the first few chapters added to a sense of urgency in the novel; and not until the very last page is it clear what the author’s intention was to writing such a complex and disturbing plot.  The author was daring enough to explore eminent themes such as love and “the American Dream;” and by showing the negative aspects of the two, he was able to portray the less thought of notions regarding the motifs.  I personally feel that a majority of the book contrived a dreary mood, and the purpose still remains unclear to me.  I could not associate my own life with any of the characters, and thus I tended to lose interest quickly due to the foreign nature of both the occurrences and the personas.  I felt little impact from the story, and I feel that the themes that the author tried to portray did not transcend as heavily to the readers as they might have been intended to.  However, the descriptions of the city and characters were very detailed, and I thought Fitzgerald did a commendable job of painting a mental picture for the audience through descriptive words and imagery.  Overall, The Great Gatsby is a novel that I see as having an intriguing storyline with characters that stay cryptic until the very end, when the true personalities are finally revealed and the story comes to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment